Thursday, February 11, 2010

Okay, Now it is Official



With Mid February rapidly approaching I am shamefully reporting that the decorations are all up, just maybe not put away. I decided that instead of hauling all of the grey tubs down, filling them up and then trying to find someone who would help me carry them back up, I would just carry all the decorations up to the play room, pull out the tubs from the attic adjacent to the playroom, fill them and slide them back to the attic. A problem exist with this plan and “out of sight, out of mind” only begins to describe it. So, I am considering changing the title of my blog to ”Everything is put 'up' but the Advent Box;” versus put “away” and if I were to march back to the girls hall right now and move the one grey tub that I brought down for my daughters to fill with the Christmas stuffed animals and Christmas books that during the holiday (and beyond) adorned the passage to their rooms, that, indeed, they did fill 4 days ago, I could honestly say that all of the Christmas decorations that were inside this past holiday season are put “up“. (Carley ignore that run on sentence, sometimes they are necessary, sort of.) Oh, wait, I guess the guest house is still decorated. Well close enough. After reading Bill’s blog a couple of days, I decided I really need to get on the ball so he can also know what is going on in my life.

So the way this works is that I wrote 25 things on individual paper that I wanted to accomplish to get me that much closer to an organized life. I then gave my oldest daughter, Carley, the pieces of paper to randomly put into each of the doors of the Advent Box. Then, on days that I feel I can do a little something extra, I will open a door and attempt to accomplish the task. Then, and here comes the part you have all been waiting for, I will blog about it. Before you all cross my blog off as one that you follow, let me just say that I promise not to write every detail of the procedure. Think Bill’s blog, now how much have we really learned about making a violin? (Not complaining here.) I figure that a glimpse of my disorganized life may shed some light on exactly who I might be. The many years of poor efforts to stay connected that all of us are guilty of will just vanish and you will all know through my disarray, what I have been doing since you last knew me well. And for those of you who might find this blog that have no idea who I am, well, now you will.

So I just couldn’t stand the wait any longer. I opened the first door. It was a good thing that I was still laughing at a conversation that Carley and her dad had this morning because the first task was a real let down. “Delete files from the computer”. Understand that the computer and I are often on shaky ground. So painfully I trudged to the computer and started with “documents”. I really thought that the delete button and I would quickly become best friends, but after an hour of working on this I only managed to delete about 6 things. Surely someday my almost 30 year old son Connor will want the papers he did in college. Or better yet, maybe my 17 year old could pass them off as hers in a couple of years. Kidding Carley. I found a few of my husband’s contracts from about 2 jobs ago (that would be about 13 years ago). He might need them. One thing I knew I didn’t want to delete was the first thing I pulled up. A picture of Carley’s brownie troop. Oh, it is (or was) so adorable. The problem was that I continued to find it in several locations. By the fifth location, I decided that I did not need to have so many copies of it so, yes, “delete” it. When I found that deleting it in that location deleted it from all, I abandoned the project and went to have a cup of tea with my delightful neighbor. I am thinking green right now. I will recycle that piece of paper back into the box for another day.

If anyone would like to hear the funny conversation between Carley and her dad, let me know. I would have shared it here but I think the length of this blog is already past what, I learned from a certain sibbling of mine commenting on my first blog, is acceptable. Plus, I learned from sharing it with a few people already that you probably had to have been there. Funny how that works.

One more thing, on the subject of computers, did you all see the Google Super Bowl add? I thought it was very cleaver and cute. Check it out if you missed it. http//www.youtube.com/searchstories?utm_source=en-us-bkws-sem-ss&utm_medium=ha&utm_campaign=en




Thank goodness for the recycle bin. Carley is in the far back.


5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are finally official. I'm pretty sure I remember two people telling you about a month ago that just putting the decorations in the playroom would do nothing. They seemed to know that once they were up there you would leave them there and not put them away. Maybe next time you will listen. Awesome blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a solution to your compuater problem. Just get a new one. If you have stuff on there from 13 years ago you are using a dinosaur. You can put the old one up in the attic with the Christmas decorations. And there is a rule for organization. If you haven't used it in 2 years you don't need it. Have you seen the horder programs on TV? Just kidding. Good blog. That was a tough one to start with. And yes I would like to hear the conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not your fault-Carley has known you for many many years and probably better than almost anyone else so why did she put them in randomly? Surely she could have found a few easier tasks for 1,2,and 3. Just kidding Carley, and by the way I enjoy Carley's comments almost as much as your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think if you are not adhering to your own original rules of blog # 1 you should be disqualified from this blogger thing. (See my latest entry.)At least you should be fined one blog. Right Gail? And what is this crack about me and my violin blog. If you think I've got sidetracked before, just wait. By the way, is there any way that this comment can be put in a nuetral location so it won't be counted as one of Jane's received comments. You are getting too many. Good writing Jane! Laughed a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First I find out that this blog thing is a competition from Bill and now I find out that I am suppose to delete files on my computer. If you create folders and then put computer files in the folder and then never open the folder again isn't that as good as putting Christmas decorations out of site and out of mind? I suppose that I might run out of memory eventually but then you just buy an external hard drive (under $100) put all of your files on the external hard drive and then have your youngest child reformat your computer and wahlah you can start all over. One caution, make sure you have all of your program disks so your youngest child can reinstall you programs on the computer.

    ReplyDelete