Tuesday, March 16, 2010

This Task is in there Somewhere

Since the commenting person who seems so concerned about rules has dropped off the face of the earth, or maybe has just got lost in the hull(is that what you call it) of a violin, I decided I would not worry about what rule I might be breaking this time. I just can't get to that cabinet in the craft room. There just has not been enough undivided attention time. However, I remembered that somewhere in that advent box I put a different task that knew I could take on and complete. Lets see though, I have to blog about it, hmmm....

Fluffy, bright colored balls on an elastic strand, that is the best way to describe them. They hang, or hung (now hang again) in Carley's window. They dress, or dressed (now dress again) the window, but not really cover it. They are purely just for fun and look very cute in her room. Thumb tacks keep, kept,(keep) them up. Over the Christmas season I needed thumb tacks, a last minute idea, no time to go buy more....

After rereading an invitation I received to an ornament party (soon before going), I noticed the requested attire: "Please wear your 'tackiest' Christmas sweater." I don't own a tacky Christmas sweater. I have a Christmas sweater and I have tacks (if I disassembled the hanging balls) and I have cork to put on the back of the tacks to keep them on (the sweater of course) and keep them from poking me. I know I am ingenious! No, I did not win. Can you believe it? A girl who wasn't really wearing a sweater, just wearing a (not literally but totally) tacky outfit won. There were a few others that wore almost hideous sweaters but the majority of the women conveniently did not read the invitation closely and were decked out in their most "stylish" holiday attire. Anyway, the balls came down (to supply my tack needs), then after the party I removed the tacks from the sweater and put them somewhere that I would not forget so that I could put the balls back up promptly (or at least in the next few days). I forgot where I put them. So since then I have been playing a game of not "hide" just "seek" the thumbtacks. Or at least just try to remember to buy some new ones at the store. Finally yesterday, I accomplished plan b. I am a proud owner of 100 plus thumbtacks. (The box I purchased said 100 the plus are the ones still in hiding. You know what? When I checked to see how many were in the box just now, to give an accurate count, I noticed that it said push pins instead of thumb tacks. Oooohhhh, that is why I did not win, no one could figure out why I was wearing a push pin Christmas sweater!). Anyway, I came home and rehung the balls. Do you know that Carley did not even notice? It took me standing in front of the window and making several not so subtle hand motions (okay close your eyes and picture the lovely girls that are on The Price is Right that wave their arms presenting the prize) for her to noticed. She even questioned what in the world was I doing with my hands before she noticed. We had a good laugh over it and she was quite pleased with my accomplishment. I had really thought that the task was going to be first one in the box but I guess she is too rule abiding (nothing she obviously gets from me) to do that. Her instructions, remember, were to "randomly" place the tasks in the box. So now I can have a free day when someday in one of the advent box's door I find "hang the balls back up in Carley's window."

On a side note (in case you have been wondering). I heard back from one of the "sons" about my ladybug picture. I went to see him.He had kind of a snooty tooty personality. He told me if he just found materials around the shop he could do it for what he thought was not so much and I thought was a lot. I then proceeded to find a half price coupon for custom framing at the mega craft store. I met a very enthusiastic clerk (who loved my picture). She suggested a lot of fun custom stuff. It cost the a little less than the "son's" price. I picked it up today and I am quite happy about how it turned out. I did leave a couple of small repair jobs at the "son's" place, I have not heard back from him yet on whether they are done. Sometimes (maybe a lot of times) those "mega stores" aren't so bad.

4 comments:

  1. Wow... You would lose the thumb tacks. Thanks for hanging the balls up..... FINALLY!!!
    Very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always enjoy your blogs. I'm sure you will make your way through the box eventually. My favorite line from Pirates of the Carribean. "Rules are more like suggestions." Something like that. It's how I live my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite halloween costumes was when I put a rope around my neck (No I wan't trying to hang myself) and then took clothespins and hung lots of different hats from the rope. (your tacks on your swearter reminded me of this) I was a woman who wears many hats. I feels like I only wear one hat now, New Hope, and my other hats like mother, wife, teacher, carefree person, are being ignored. But I guess within New Hope I wear many hats, fundraiser, program planner, driver of children to and from after-school, andminstrator and on and on. Sorry I guess I am blogging on your blog. I'll stop and write my own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still here and I say bravo! Nothing like a good cheat to accomplish one's goal. Very funny story. Read my latest blog by the way. Its not funny or well written but its about a milestone reached and pure bliss! Bill

    ReplyDelete